I definitely go through phases with my sweet and savoury obsessions and last week I was on a bit of a sweet treats kick and have fully stocked up my fridge with protein treats and energy bites. I don’t know why I go through these weird, obsessive phases where I’m just compelled to whip up a million different things all in the space of a couple of hours haha. The creative wave just comes over me and there’s no stopping it!
I’ve actually made two versions of Milky Way style bars because I was curious as to which method would turn out the best and as it turns out.. I liked them both! These are super simple to make and you’ll only need four ingredients for the filling and then either some dark chocolate or you can make your own for the coating.
These are great if you fancy something a little sweet and want to feed those chocolatey cravings! Plus, you can take them out and about for an on the go snack or dessert. I’m such a huge fan of snacking and always like to make sure that I have something stashed away in my bag in case of emergencies! Prepping snacks to take out with you is also a pretty handy way of avoiding spending a small fortune on food when you’re out because, if you’re anything like me you can go into Wholefoods for a quite nibble and come out owning a third of the snack isle! I just can’t seem to help it.. everything looks so good! I can never decide what to go for, so instead just end up buying ‘a few options to choose from’ which actually means about 10 things. Then because I’m carrying around a whole treasure trove of delicious snacks, I just eat pretty much all of them in one go! Sooo… yeah, I guess you could say I’m the kinda’ person who likes to snack.
Anyway.. it’s currently a Monday morning, time to get myself organised for the week ahead (probably should have done this last night). So I’m going to plan out all of my work and prep some food for the coming week. I don’t typically prep entire meals because I like to give myself options, as I don’t know what I’ll fancy at the time. What I do like to do is cook up large batches of things like sweet potatoes, rice etc. and have them ready to throw into dishes like: stir-fries and buddha bowls- my two favourite dishes! I also nearly always prep a bunch of snacks for my boyfriend to take to work because he’s always looking for something quick to grab as he’s heading out the door and it’s a lot more budget friendly to make these things yourself I find. Right, enough about me now and we’ll get on with the recipe, so you can get prepping too!
Protein Milky Way Style Bars
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 scoop about 30g vanilla whey protein- I use one sweetened with stevia only
- 4 tbsp honey- can sub for brown rice syrup
- 5 tbsp non-dairy milk I use coconut
- 30 g cacao butter
- 2 heaped Tbsp raw cacao
- 2 tbsp date syrup/maple syrup
- To make the filling, combine the protein and coconut flour in a mixing bowl and toss these together.
- Pour in the honey and mix well. Now, add in the milk and mix again until you're left with a sticky dough. You might need to use your hands for this part.
- Transfer the mixture into a lined contain or cake tin and firmly flatten it out and smooth over the top. Pop these into the freezer for around 30 minutes to an hour.
- To make the chocolate, gently melt the cacao butter until liquified, then stir through the sweetener and cacao powder so that you're left with a smooth and velvety consistency.
- Take the filling out of the freezer and slice this into bars. Carefully dip each of these into the chocolate, then place them onto a tray/plate lined with baking paper.
- Pop these into the fridge for an hour to allow the chocolate to set, then gently peel them off the paper.