This breakfast is the perfect combination of light, fresh flavours and warming spiced notes of winter. Overnight oats or bircher mueslis are such a handy breakfast to take with you on the go when you’re busy during the week. You can make them the night before and they’re ready for you to grab whilst heading out the door in the morning.
The berry and coconut flavour combo is really light and refreshing, with just the right amount of sweetness. I’ve used my favourite tried and trusted Arctic Berries powder- the lingonberry one, which is so easy to add into oats, smoothies and whatever else. I literally love these powders and always have a cupboard fully stocked! They’re super tasty and so easy to store and carry round with you to add into meals! All of the berries are wild grown and it’s such a convenient way to boost dishes with extra vitamins and nutrients! I’ve been feeling really groggy over the last couple of days with an awful cold and have been trying to cram in as many portions of fruits and veggies as I possibly can to help my poor immune system!
Another flavour that I’m absolutely obsessed with is cinnamon apples! It just screams Christmas and festivities to me! The apples become so soft and caramelised and the warming cinnamon flavours are so festive and leave the kitchen smelling incredible!
This recipe is also completely plant based and refined sugar free. I’ve been trying to switch up my routine recently and include a wider variety of vegan dishes and it’s something that I really enjoy! I don’t tend to eat any meat substitutes, but instead focus on including more vegetables and making them more exciting with different flavours and spices. I feel like most people have the perception that plant based meals are less filling and lack substance, but this just doesn’t have to be the case. If you pack your meals full of grains, pulses, warming spices and seasonings and delicious veggies you can create a really filling and hearty dish without any animal products.
Berry & Coconut Bircher with Cinnamon Apples
- 1 cup jumbo oats
- 1 cup coconut milk drinking kind
- 2 Tsp Arctic Berries Lingonberry Powder
- Tbsp Coconut flakes
- Tbsp honey/maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp fresh Pomegranate seeds
- 1 large pink lady apple
- 1-2 Tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- To prep the bircher, combine the oats, coconut, pomegranate seeds, honey, Arctic Berries powder and milk in a bowl and mix well.
- Set aside to thicken for 20 minutes or overnight.
- For the apples, wash and chop the apple into chunks. Place these into a saucepan with a little water and cook over a low to medium heat.
- Add in the cinnamon and maple syrup and continue to cook the apples until softened. Serve the bircher topped with the apple and other toppings of choice.