I’m sure you’ll have seen the latest foodie crazes of pancake and cookie cereal circulating social media recently! In fact, I actually saw really tiny croissant cereal on Instagram the other day. Although it looks incredibly cute an no doubt tastes delicious, I’m not sure I have the skill and patience to make hundreds of teeny tiny croissants! But, I suppose never say never!
Obviously I jumped straight on the bandwagon of making these various miniature food cereal bowls and might have become a little bit obsessed! My favourite so far is definitely the pancake variety because, although I love the concept of a bowl filled with mini chocolate chip cookies, I find this a little bit sweet to actually eat for breakfast!
This protein pancake cereal on the other hand is great because they don’t take all that long to make, once you get the hang of it and it really helps if you have a squeeze bottle to pour the mixture out of (but you can also use a spoon pretty easily so it’s not essential). I’ve gone for a chocolate flavoured pancake batter here, but you can of course get creative and experiment with different protein flavours! I want to try making little chocolate chip pancakes next week, as these are a firm favourite of mine!
Although this looks like a rather indulgent breakfast, the pancake recipe is actually really healthy and made with a simple list of whole food ingredients. Hopefully these are things that you’ll already have on hand in your kitchen, so you have no excuse not to make this now!
Protein Pancake Cereal
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp vegan protein powder
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk You may need more dependig on the thickness of your mixture
- Coconut oil or oil spray for cooking
- To make your pancake batter, pop all of the ingredients into your blender and blitz until smooth. If you feel like your batter is a little too thick, add some extra milk and blend again. You don't want this to be as runny as crepe mixture though so be careful not to over do it.
- Heat a little oil or cooking spray in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Transfer your batter into a squuezy bottle if you have one, or if not use a spoon to create little pancake dollops around the pan.
- Once bubbles start to appear on the surface, carefully flip these over and cook on the other side. Repet this process for the remaining mixture.
- Serve your pancake cereal with toppings of choice. I love lots of fresh berries and a good drizzle of honey!