So, I’ve spent most of this week experimenting with various different recipe variations for these vegan strawberry cupcakes. I’m pleased to say that I’m now extremely happy with the result and can’t wait for you guys to try them as well!
These cupcakes are made with 21/2 cups of REAL fresh strawberries, which not only add delicious flavour to the cakes, but also help to keep them super moist! This will also mean that the recipe calls for less oil than a standard cupcake mixture.
What will you need to make these vegan strawberry cupcakes?
- Strawberries: an obvious one, but yes, this recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries.
- Caster sugar: I’ve used caster sugar in this recipe, so they’re not refined sugar free. You could exchange this for coconut palm sugar, however I haven’t tested this yet so I’m not sure whether it would create the same consistency.
- Olive oil: this recipe calls for a light olive oil in place of butter, which keeps the recipe dairy free & plant based. I always use a light and mild olive oil when baking to minimise any overpowering flavours.
- Flour: this can be subbed for GF flour if needed. I’ve used a plain flour for this recipe.
- Non dairy milk: I tend to use soy milk in baking, but you can also use oat, almond or coconut.
- Vegan stick butter: this is for the pink buttercream frosting. I always strongly recommend using a stick butter variety to make your frosting. It whips really well and has a far creamier consistency.
- Icing sugar: again, for the frosting. This recipe calls for 2 cups of icing sugar.
What equipment will I need to make these cupcakes?
- Muffin tray
- Paper/ silicone cases
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Electric whisk- for the buttercream
Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil- light and mild variety
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb
- pinch salt
- Dash vanilla extract
- zest from 2 limes
- Beetroot powder or pink food colouring for extra colour
- 11/2 cup vegan stick butter
- 2 cup icing sugar
- vegan pink food colouring
- tsp freeze dried berries
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with paper cases. This recipe makes a very large batch of cupcakes, so you can half the quantities if you don't think you'll get through quite so many!
- Begin by adding the strawberries into a food processor and blend to a puree.
- Cream together the olive oil, sugar, vinegar and vanilla extract. Then pour in your milk and strawberry puree whilst mixing.
- Sift and fold through the dry ingredients and lime zest until you're left with a smooth cake batter. Then add a little food colouring or beetroot powder to enhance the pink shade to your desired colour.
- Fill your cases 3/4 way up and pop them into the oven for 20 minutes. Allow your cakes to cool slightly in the tin for a few minutes, then pop these onto a wire wrack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, start by beating the butter until pale and fluffy then gradually add in the icing sugar whilst continuing to whisk. Add a touch of food colouring and your dried berries and whip until deliciously creamy!
- Pip frosting onto each of your cakes and garnish with some fresh berries!