These vegan pumpkin spice cupcakes are the perfect Autumnal sweet treat and ideal for any Halloween parties! They’re super quick and simple to make and filled with all of the wonderful Autumnal flavours and warming spices! The cupcakes themselves are super soft and fluffy, topped with a creamy, cinnamon spiced buttercream frosting! You’ll never guess that these cakes are completely plant based!
Why you need to make these vegan pumpkin spiced cupcakes:
- They’re quick and simple to make
- You don’t need lots of fancy ingredients or equipment
- This recipe is completely dairy free and plant based.
- These cakes are ideal for Halloween parties, or simply for a cosy Autumnal baking session.
- They’re filled with warming, Autumnal spices.
What will you need to make these cupcakes?
- Self raising flour: this recipe calls for self raising flour to help create a super light and fluffy sponge cake texture and achieve that gorgeous rise!
- Olive oil or vegetable oil: To keep this recipe dairy free, I use olive oil or vegetable oil in place of butter. This also helps to create a wonderfully light sponge cake texture!
- Cinnamon & mixed spice: for me, these are absolutely essential store cupboard ingredients when it comes to Autumnal baking. I don’t think I can actually recall the last baking recipe that I’ve made which didn’t use these spices!
- Caster sugar: I like to use unrefined, golden caster sugar for these cupcakes. This does however mean that these cupcakes are not sugar free.
- Soy milk & apple cider vinegar: this combination is what I use to create a vegan buttermilk alternative. By adding the apple cider vinegar to the milk, this causes the milk to thicken and curdle and is the perfect alternative to regular buttermilk.
- Vegan stick butter: this is essential for making the vegan buttercream frosting. I always recommend using a stick butter variety, rather than a spread to achieve that really thick and creamy consistency.
Vegan Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 120 g caster sugar
- 125 ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 130 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 250 g vegan stick butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 1/2 g ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 180c fan and line a cupcake tray with paper cases. This recipe makes 7 cupcakes.
- Combine the apple cider vinegar and soy milk in a jug and stir to combine. Set these aside for 5 minutes to allow these to thicken and create your vegan buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the oil and sugar together until pale and fluffy in texture. Whisk in the buttermilk mixture.
- Sift your dry ingredients into the bowl and fold these together with the wet mixture.
- Once you're left with a smooth batter, use a large cookie scoop to divide this evenly between your cupcake cases. Place these into the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the cakes are beautifully risen and golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the buttercream, use an electric hand whisk or stand mixer to beat the butter until pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the icing sugar and spices and continue to mix so that everything is full incorporated .
- Pipe a generous swirl onto each of the cooled cupcakes and dust with some cinnamon sugar. I've added these cute little edible pumpkins as well (the recipe is over on my Instagram!)