I’ve got another delicious recipe featuring South African plums for you today! This vegan plum sponge cake is sweet, fluffy and studded with vibrant tasting plums! I couldn’t resist adapting my cupcake recipe to create a full sized cake! This is the perfect sweet treat to bake this Mother’s Day, which FYI is only two weeks away now! Over the course of the next week or so, I’ll be sharing lost of mouthwatering sweet treats that you can bake to treat your lucky mums!
This cake is completely plant based, gluten free and still super indulgent tasting! It has a light, fluffy texture, there perfect amount of sweetness and bursts of fruity flavour from there plums. They also help to add a touch of extra moisture to the cake and their gorgeous purple colour disperses as the cake bakes!
What you’ll need to make this cake
- Gluten free self raising flour: this is what helps to create a super light and fluffy sponge cake and gives you a decent amount of rise when baking. I wouldn’t recommend swapping this with regular GF flour, as I find it far more dense.
- Vegan butter: I’ve used plant based butter in this recipe rather than coconut/olive oil. I would recommend using a stick variety when making the butter cream for a thicker, more luxurious texture.
- South African Plums: These are currently available in supermarkets in the UK and are so delicious! They’re great for snacking (I can’t even tell you how many I’ve eaten) and also make incredibly tasty additions to cakes, crumbles, tarts and other bakes!
- Caster sugar: You could swap this for coconut palm sugar if you wanted to adapt the recipe to be refined sugar free. I’ve used golden caster sugar here, as it has a milder flavour and creates a paler coloured sponge.
Why you need to make this vegan plum sponge
- It’s the ideal Mother’s Day occasion cake!
- It’s gluten free.
- Is completely vegan!
- Tastes delicious.
- Super light and fluffy textured sponge!
- Easy to make and only requires a bowl and wooden spoon.
- Uses seasonal, readily available fruits
- Can be adapted to be refined sugar free
If you weren’t quite in the mood to bake and eat an entire cake, you can always give these vegan plum cupcakes a try!
Vegan Plum Sponge
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp caster sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups GF self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 South African plums chopped into small chunks
- 3 tbsp vegan stick butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cacao powder/cocoa powder
- 5 South African plums for topping
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c and lightly grease a loose bottom cake tin with vegan butter.
- Combine the milk and cider vinegar together and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk through the milk mixture then stir in the dry ingredients until smooth. Fold through your diced plums and trasnfer your cake batter into the cake tin.
- Pop this into the oven for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer can be removed clean from the cake. Allow to cool a little, then remove the cake tin and leave to finish cooling on a wire wrack.
- For the frosting, beat the butter to a pale and fluffy consistency, then gradually add in the sugar and cacao. Once smooth, lather over the cake and layer on your sliced plums.