With Valentine’s Day coming up, my kitchen is rapidly filling up with chocolate filled and bright pink baked goods! I feel like chocolate is always a winner for a Valentine’s Day delights, however if you’re in the mood for something fruity, then these vegan pink velvet cupcakes are for you!
The sponge is fluffy, moist and bursting with a fresh fruity flavour. I’ve added both fresh and freeze dried raspberries for a vibrant hit of flavour. They also help to add extra moisture into the cakes, to create a really delicious texture!
What will I need to make these vegan pink velvet cupcakes?
- Olive oil: I’ve used olive oil in place of butter in this recipe, which keeps the cakes dairy free and also helps to achieve a really fluffy consistency. For baking, I always opt for a light and milk olive oil to avoid any overpowering flavours.
- Self raising flour: I always use self raising flour in my cupcakes to achieve a nice rise on the cakes. You can swap this like for like with GF flour if required.
- Raspberries: as mentioned, I’ve used both freeze dried and fresh berries in this recipe. The freeze dried berries provide a really intense burst of flavour and hold well when baked! They’re also a great to have on hand for dessert garnishing.
- Caster sugar: these cakes call for golden caster sugar, so this recipe isn’t refined sugar free. This has a really light and mild flavour which works well with the berry and coconut. You could try switching this for coconut palm sugar if you would like adapt for a refined sugar free version. However, I feel like the flavour might be too overpowering.
- Coconut: This recipe calls for desiccated coconut which adds a touch of coconut flavour and different texture to the sponge.
What equipment will I need for this recipe?
- Muffin Tray
- Mixing bowl
- Electric whisk
Why you should make this recipe?
- These cakes are completely plant based.
- Can be adapted to be made gluten free
- They’re simple to make and don’t require lots of equipment.
- Perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Great to make for sharing with friends or serving at a party!
Vegan Pink Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup oat milk mixed with tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp freeze dried rasberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- Dash pink gel food colouring or berry powder
- 200 g vegan stick butter
- 2 cup icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and olive oil together, then whisk in the milk mixture and vanilla extract.
- Sift in your flour and baking powder and fold everything together to create a smooth batter. Stir in the desiccated coconut, mashed berries, freeze dried berries and your food colouring.
- Divide the mixture between your cases and place these into the oven for 25 minutes to bake.
- Whilst you cupcakes are cooling, beat the butter using an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Gradually add in your icing sugar and continue to mix until you're left with a smooth, creamy frosting.
- Pipe frosting onto each of the cupcakes and decorate with fresh berries!