I’ve decided to rekindle with my beloved Bake Off series again this year and share weekly recipes in the theme of each week’s Great British Bake Off episode! This went down really well last year, so I’m hoping that you guys will love this year just as much.. if not more! This week was cake week, so I decided to whip up some cute little peanut butter cupcakes.
I love making cupcakes for multiple reasons. Firstly, they’re already perfectly portioned out, so everyone can have their own cute little miniature cake. They don’t take nearly as long to bake in the oven.. and less time to wait before getting to eat is obviously a positive, am I right?! I’ve also always been completely obsessed with decorating cupcakes since I was a teenager. I remember there was this vanilla cupcake recipe that I would religiously make and I took the whole decorating part VERY seriously. I would equip myself with different flavours of pre-made buttercream icing and a full selection of those sugar flower decorations.
I’m so pleased with how these cupcakes have turned out, especially because they’re actually vegan. I might have mentioned this before, but I tend to find vegan baking a lot harder than regular baking because I feel like it can be a little trickier to balance the different ingredient quantities and create the perfect light and fluffy sponge texture. The texture of these is just spot on for me. They’re so soft, moist and have an incredible sweet banana & peanut butter flavour!
I think that these would be perfect for a little back to school/work lunchbox treat or weekend snack to accompany a cuppa’. I’ve chosen to keep things pretty simple with the icing here and whipped up a delicious vanilla coconut yoghurt icing by simply mixing some coconut yoghurt and agave nectar. I love this combination because not only is is super quick and easy to make, but it also has a lovely sweet & delicate flavour. It’s so versatile and would also be great to serve on top of some freshly made waffles or pancakes!
Vegan Peanut Butter & Banana Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup almond yoghurt
- 3 Tbsp Pic's Peanut butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1/2 oat flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp bicarb
- Pinch of salt
- 125 g vanilla coconut yoghurt
- Tbsp Agave nectar
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a cupcake tray with cases.
- In a bowl, combine the agave, mashed banana, peanut butter and almond yoghurt and mix everything together.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and fold these into the mixture until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the batter into your cupcake cases and pop these into the oven to bake for around 14 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire wrack.
- Once your cakes are cooled, mix together the coconut yoghurt and agave nectar and spread a dollop of this on top of each of the cakes. Decorate with toppings of choice and enjoy!