I don’t think I even need to bother telling you that I love soup, because I feel like it’s something that I’ve already waffled on about over 100 times. Oh.. and I’ve pretty much just done it again, so there we go! But for real, soup is great and I love soup.. who doesn’t? Okay, so I know that mushroom soup sounds rather bland and not exactly the most exciting thing in the world, but that my friends, is where you are mistaken. Admittedly I have had may a mushroom soup that actually hasn’t been that tasty and were lacking quite a bit of flavour.. but this isn’t one of those dishes!
I know so many people who literally despise mushrooms, which for me is just unimaginable because I’m literally so obsessed with them. No joke, I could eat mushrooms of three meals a day no problem! They’re a great source of micronutrients and are so versatile to cook with. I love sautéing them with garlic and cherry tomatoes so serve with some poached eggs on toast- which was what I had for my breakfast this morning for that matter. So delicious!
This soup is really simple and quick to throw together and you won’t need to spend hours trawling round the supermarket in search for lots of weird and wonderful ingredients.. so you’re all good on that front. I can find everything needed here In my local Tesco Express store underneath my apartment; so this is definitely a time saving and convenient recipe for times when you’re looking to spend minimal time prepping food, but still want something fresh and nourishing.
Soups are great to make ahead of time for an easy mid-week lunch, that you could also take a long to work or college or to serve as a starter with some crusty sourdough bread and hummus- yum! I’ve also topped the soup off with my latest obsession- crunchy turmeric chickpeas! These are super simple to make and seriously so so delicious! They made great sacks or crunchy additions to salads and you can experiment with lots of different herbs and spice combinations to create some exciting flavour explosions.
I also ought to mention that this dish is is completely plant based, despite being super smooth and creamy. The secret to the perfect soup consistency, in my opinion, is the combination of vegetable stock and coconut milk. It doesn’t have to be the thick canned stuff.. I’ve just used the drinking kind here and it works perfectly.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 300 g chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- 200 ml vegetable stock- may need a little extra
- 1/2 cup coconut milk - Drinking not canned
- Finely dice the onion and add this into a frying pan with a little olive oil and cooked over medium heat until translucent.
- Crush in the garlic clove and continue to sauté these until fragrant.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms thinly and add these into the frying pan to cook off. You want to cook the mushrooms so that most of the moisture is cooked out and they become golden and crisp.
- Once everything is cooked, combine the mushrooms, coconut milk, stock and a sprinkling of black pepper in a blender, then blend until smooth. Add more liquid if you feel that the consistency of the soup is too thick.
- Gently heat before serving, then garnish and enjoy!