VEGAN CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES
Refined sugar free & Easy recipe
It’s been such a long time since I’ve posted a new blog recipe and I met say, it feels SO good to be back! We had to kick things of with something special and what better place to start than with these carrot cake Easter cupcakes!
These cupcakes are the perfect spring celebratory treat; they’re moist, fluffy, lightly spiced and so simple to make! The sponge recipe is also refined sugar free and uses coconut palm sugar for the sweetener. I love using coconut sugar in baking, as it delivers really rich caramel notes of sweetness and is a great replacement for brown sugar. It’s also super delicious in coffee!
Why you need to make these vegan carrot cake cupcakes?
- They’re easy to make and only take 30 minutes to bake!
- This recipe is completely plant based with a refined sugar free sponge
- Perfect for your Easter celebrations
- Taste delicious and packed with flavour
- Can be made with common store cupboard ingredients
- Affordable recipe
- The batter can also be made into a sheet cake and cut into easy to eat slices.
- They’re ideal for parties or Easter themed afternoon tea!
- You can get really creative and add as many cute decorations as you can find!
Why you need to make these cupcakes for Easter!
- Coconut palm sugar: This replaces regular caster sugar in this recipe and provides a rich caramel flavour.
- Olive oil: To keep this recipe dairy free, I’ve used olive oil in place of butter. I also find using this helps to create a wonderfully light and fluffy texture. I always opt for a light and mild variety, as these have a much more mellow flavour and won’t be too overpowering in the cakes.
- Self raising flour: This recipe calls for self raising flour (you can sub for GF if needed). This gives the cakes a gorgeous rise and creates a nice fluffy sponge!
- Spices: Carrot cake wouldn’t be carrot cake without the delectable warming spices of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg! I like to be pretty generous with these, but you can adjust to taste.
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 125 g coconut palm sugar
- 60 ml olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 125 ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 130 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large carrot- grated
- 300 g powder sugar
- 250 g vegan stick butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp strong brewed espresso (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180c fan and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Combine your non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and mix together. Leave this to thicken and form your vegan buttermilk. This should take around 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the olive oil and coconut sugar together. Then, whisk in your buttermilk.
- Sift the dry ingredients and fold these into the wet mixture until fully combined. Stir in your grated carrot. You could also add some desiccated coconut or raisins here if you would like.
- Use a large cookie scoop or cup measure to evenly divide the batter between your 7 cases and bake these for 27-30 minutes until golden and nicely risen.
- Remove your cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Meanwhile, prepare your frosting.
- Begin by beating the butter until pale and fluffy, then gradually incorporate the icing sugar, cinnamon, cream cheese and coffee (if using.) Beat this until gorgeously smooth and creamy!
- To garnish the cakes, use a star tip nozzle to pipe frosting onto each of them and top with cute Easter decorations.