This sweet potato chocolate bundt cake might not sound like your every day recipe, but trust me, you’re going to love it! Bundt cakes are perfect if you’re after something a little more fancy for a special occasion cake. They look beautiful in their own right, so even the simplest of garnishing or drizzles can result in a rather impressive looking cake.
The addition of sweet potato in this recipe results in a perfectly moist cake, every time. Don’t worry though, you can’t taste any sweet potato whatsoever! I’m quite the chocolate fan at the moment, so we’ve been generous with the cocoa in this cake. A high quality cocoa powder is key for that rich, decadent chocolate flavour.
Of course you can decorate your bundt cake however you desire! I’ve kept things pretty simple here and opted for a glorious helping of melted dark chocolate and fresh berries. We’re coming to the end of Summer here in the UK, so I want to make the most of them!
What will you need to make sweet potato chocolate bundt cake?
- Sweet potato- As I’ve mentioned, the recipe calls for cooked sweet potato. This is key for keeping the cake beautifully moist… and you’re also sneaking in some veggies in there too!
- Coconut oil- to keep this recipe dairy free, butter has been switched for coconut oil. I love the subtle flavour & sweetness this gives in baked goods and is something I always have on hand in my kitchen anyway.
- Oat flour- this recipe uses flour, as this is my favourite GF flour of choice. I typically blitz up my oats in a blender and keep this in a jar for whenever I may need it.
- Cocoa powder- a high quality cocoa powder is essential for a rich chocolate flavour. You could also use cacao. This one is my favourite.
- Honey– this recipe is refined sugar free and actually calls for a liquid sweetener, which is slightly unusual. I’ve used honey, but this could also be changed for brown rice or maple syrup.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 1 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup coconut oil softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb
- Preheat yoour oven to 180c and lightly grease your bundt tin with a little coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the coconut oil, then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mash (or blend) your cooked sweet potato to create a thick puree and mix this into the wet mixture, along with your vanilla extract.
- In a seperate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and roughly mix. Whilst stirring, gradually pour your wet ingredients into the dry and fold your cake batter together until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your bundt tin, making sure to smooth over the top. Place the cake into your preheated oven for around 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer can be removed clean. Allow the cake to cool before carefully removing from your tin and transferring to a wire wrack.
- Decroate with your desired toppings and enjoy!