This might sound like a bit of an unusual combination, but it’s a particularly delicious one! Pasta was always one of my all time favourite meals as a child and then my go-to dish to cook myself as a teen. There are endless flavour combinations and you can whip up a truly tasty feast in under 20 minutes! This recipe is packed with flavour and colour, as well as being a little bit carby and comforting at the same time. I’ve combined half pasta and courgetti to lighten things up a tad and get some extra veggies snuck into the mix too!
Pesto really is one of the better pasta sauces in my opinion. Red pesto, green pesto.. any pesto really. I just love pesto! AND it works well with so many different dishes, not just pasta. Not only does it really pack a seriously flavourful punch, but it’s also super quick and easy to stir into sauces, soups, pastas etc. to transform a meal in less than a minute. Pesto pasta has got to be one of the easiest week night meal ideas possible.. plus, it works great as a Summer pasta salad too; with a super fresh and flavourful taste! This particular pesto is part of the Free From range from Sacla which is completely free from dairy products- so if you’re dairy free or vegan, then this is a good kitchen staple! If you do follow a plant based diet, you could still make this recipe and omit the prawns or replace them with chickpeas or tofu.
Now for the slight curve ball ingredient.. the goji berries! I know this sounds slightly strange.. and to be honest, I’m not exactly sure what inspired me to include these in the recipe, but think it works! They add little bursts of sweet, fresh fruity flavour, which I think is perfect for Summer! I used to adore goji berries and eat them all of the time, so want to re-kindle that love and incorporate them into more of my meals. They work really well in porridge, as they absorb some of the liquid and become super soft and so sweet!
Red Pesto Prawn & Goji Pasta
- 150 g raw king prawns
- 100 g gluten free tagliatelle or pasta of choice
- 1 large courgette
- 2 small shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- Olive oil for cooking
- Handful goji berries
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Finely dice the shallots and crush the garlic cloves.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan and bring to a medium heat. Add in the shallot and garlic and sauté until fragrant, then add in the prawns.
- Cook until the prawns are thoroughly cooked through. Meanwhile, spiralize the courgette to create a spaghetti effect and set this aside to add in at the end.
- Once the pasta and prawns are cooked through, transfer the pasta into the frying pan and toss in the courgetti, goji berries and red pesto.
- Serve and garnish with some fresh basil leaves and black pepper.