The season for vibrant, colourful salads is well and truly upon us and I intend to embrace this with full force! I LOVE a good salad and are indeed so many great combinations to be enjoyed; I mean, you can pretty much add anything into a salad and really allow those creative juices to flow! When I say salad, I’m not talking about a bowl full of limp lettuce leaves with a few slices of cucumber and cherry tomatoes thrown In there, accompanied by some sort of sour, horrid tasting dressing. No, no. When I make a salad, it is literally anything but the kind that I’ve just described! This salad really does have a bit of everything. There’s sweet, fruity, spice, freshness, crunch, carbs, protein, greens and when combined, these create a wonderful flavour explosion that will make you fall in love with salad bowls!
Here I’ve used prawns for the protein portion of the salad, but you could always swap this for chicken, or maybe try with tofu for a meat free option. The sauce for the prawns really is the star of the show here, as it has a really unusual and incredible flavour. For the base, I’ve teamed up with Onken and used their Mango, Papaya and Passionfruit yoghurt, which is my current favourite from their range. It has such a fresh ad tropical flavour, which is just perfect for this time of year and makes an excellent summertime marinade or dip ingredient. I’ve combined this with one of my new favourite kitchen ingredients: Harissa paste! I love the spicy kick that this provides- there’s just so much flavour going on!
These flat rice noodles are also one of my latest obsessions! They’re super quick and easy to prepare, as you just need to cover them in boiling water for 5-10 minutes and then they’re good to go. They don’t really clump together that much, which is always handy and I just really enjoy the texture! They’re fab in salads, curries, soups and stir-fries! A noodle for all occasions!
This would be a great salad to serve at summer dinner parties, as it looks pretty fancy, yet still has the fresh vibrance of a salad. There’s a good balance of carbs, fats and protein.. as well as getting some greens and micros in there too. Sometimes serving a salad as a main can be a bit of a challenge to create something that’s hearty and filling enough to be a main dish.. and not everyone’s always big fan of super green kale salads (although I do love these myself!).
You can also read the full post on the Onken Website here
Mango & Harissa Prawn Noodle Bowls
- 200 g large king prawns
- 3 tbsp Onken mango papaya & passionfruit yoghurt
- Tsp red harissa paste
- Pinch of turmeric and paprika
- 2 servings flat rice noodles
- 1 large carrot
- 150 g mange tout
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Pomegranate seeds coriander sesame seeds & fresh mango to garnish
- 2 tbsp Onken Mango papaya & passionfruit yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp miso paste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Tsp red harissa paste
- To make the marinade, combine the yoghurt, harissa paste and spices, then mix well.
- Add this to the prawns and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Cook the noodles according to instructions, then drain and rinse in cold water.
- Heat a little coconut oil in frying pan over medium heat and add in the prawns. Sauté these until completely cooked through. You could add some extra chilli flakes here if you’d like some added heat.
- Meanwhile, shred the carrot with julienne peeler and thinly slice the mange tout.
- For the extra sauce, combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- To assemble the bowls, layer the noodles, veggies and garnish with some fresh pomegranate seeds, coriander, sesame seeds and sliced mango. Add the extra dressing on the side and enjoy!