If there’s one thing you need to make this weekend, it’s these double chocolate protein cupcakes. Oh, and did I mention that they’re vegan?!
These cupcakes are everything that you would imagine from the name: sweet, delicious and laden with gorgeous dark chocolate! Not to mention, they contain added protein so you can technically classify this as a post-workout snack, right?! Cupcakes are possibly my favourite kind of cake to bake because they have a
Why you should make these chocolate protein cupcakes
- They’re easy to make and bake in under 30 minutes
- Perfect for sharing and taking with you on the go
- Perfect for any chocolate lovers!
- Topped with a deliciously creamy, plant based chocolate frosting!
- Added protein from plant based protein powder
- Super soft and fluffy!
- Are great for sharing with non-vegan friends, as you’d never be able to tell they’re completely plant based!
- Can be made from simple, accessible ingredients!
- Don’t require any fancy equipment to make.
What you need to make these vegan chocolate protein cupcakes
- Self raising flour: this recipe uses self raising flour to create a super light and fluffy texture.
- Cocoa powder: As always, when baking chocolate recipes, I like to use a high quality cocoa powder for a super rich flavour. You could also use cacao powder if you have some!
- Olive oil: I use olive oil in place of butter to keep this recipe dairy free and plant based. Olive oil also helps to create a really light sponge.
- Vegan protein powder: I’ve used a plant based protein powder in this recipe. It’s important to find one which is nice and fine, so it blend well into the cake batter. I also like to use one with natural ingredients and no artificial sweeteners where possible.
- Dark chocolate: to add an extra touch of decadence, I love adding chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips to the cake batter. I love how biting into little melted chunks of chocolate throughout.
Double chocolate protein cupcakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup non dairy yoghurt
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup self raising flour
- 1/3 cup chocolate vegan protein powder (I used a pea blend)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 40 g chopped vegan chocolate
- 1 block/250 g vegan stick butter
- 2 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 180c fan and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- In a jug, combine the apple cider vinegar and soy milk and stir these together. Set these aside for 5 minutes to allow to thicken and curdle. This will create your vegan buttermilk mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream together the olive oil and both types of sugar. Once slightly pale and fluffy, whisk in the buttermilk mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients, then fold the wet and dry mixtures together to fully combine. When your batter is nice and smooth, stir through the chocolate chips to evenly distribute.
- Divide the mixture between your cupcake cases. You want to fill these 2/3 of the way so that they have space to rise whilst baking. Bake these for 25 minutes, until cooked through and nicely risen!
- You'll know your cupcakes are ready when you can pierce with a toothpick and this comes out clean. Allow these to cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the buttercream frosting, beat the butter using an electric hand whisk until pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the Icing sugar and cocoa powder whilst continuing to whisk.
- Once super creamy, transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle. Frost each of the cupcakes and garnish with some fresh fruits!