Porridge is one of the most simple, yet favourite kinds of recipes that I make! I’ve always loved whipping up decadent porridge bowls with all of the toppings and experimenting with different flavour combinations! I reckon if you scrolled all the way through, porridge bowls and raw desserts take up the most part of my Instagram feed over the past couple of years. It’s where I first started really because it was something that I could both make for my breakfast each morning, whilst still getting some decent content for the gram. I got my mum and various friends onto the porridge obsession at the time too! My favourite combination used to be cooking my oats in chocolate coconut milk- I was literally obsessed! I also love using quinoa and rice flakes to mix things up from time to time!
Porridge is a great pre-workout breakfast I find because the oats leave me feeling super energised and I usually find that I need some carbs pre-training. It’s also a great grab and go breakfast that you can prep the night before and either enjoy as cold overnight oats, or heat up in the microwave once you get to work.
I also find having oats really good for my digestion because they’re a great source of fibre. They’re literally something that I ALWAYS have stored in my cupboard (the pretty one with all the jars aka my pride and joy). They’re so versatile and I used them in about 8/10 of my recipes! They’re great for both sweet and savoury options, really cost effective and can easily be ground down to make your own flour within minutes!
This porridge has a little bit of everything! Sweet, delicate, creamy oats with hints of hazelnut and chewy flecks of desiccated coconut. ALL the decadent toppings and then the sweet, slightly tangy chia berry jam (which is also delicious on toast and with some banana & PB slices as a quick snack!). Making homemade jams and fruit compotes is really simple and a great recipe to prep before hand ready for the week ahead!
Serves 3- Ingredients
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups hazelnut milk
- 1 cup water
- Dash of vanilla extract or powder
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 200g frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 Tbsp agave/honey
- Toppings of choice
- To make the porridge, gently heat the oats in a saucepan with the water and 1 cup of milk, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the raspberries in a pan with a splash of water until all melty and they begin to form a compote. Stir through the chia seeds and sweetener and reduce to a low heat.
- Remove from the hob and allow to cool and thicken. Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Once the porridge has thickened stir through the rest of the milk, vanilla and coconut and leave to cook, whilst mixing to get that super creamy consistency.
- Serve in your favourite bowls with toppings of choice and a good helping of berry compote!