When I bought my first waffle maker last year, I became ever so slightly obsessed with making waffles and literally started making them all of the time! I’ve recently bought myself a new one, after my last one didn’t quite make it over here in the move.. and I’m so excited to be back in the land of waffle heaven! I used to love buying those cute little toaster waffles and slathering them with a ridiculous generous dosing of butter! These are perhaps a little healthier than that option, but no less indulgent and delicious in flavour!
This recipe is actually part of my Bake Off series; which I’m pleased to say I’m now all caught up with! Last weeks theme was Spice Week, which I was pretty chuffed about because I love all of these Autumnal, warming spiced flavours! I’ve been so obsessed with baking spiced cakes and adding cinnamon and mixed spice into my porridge! It just gives you that amazing tummy warming feeling and really gets me into the festive spirit!
These waffles are soft, fluffy and actually fairly simple to make yourself at home as well. There’s also a dreamy, sweet & salty peanut butter sauce to slather on top that just takes these to a whole other level! They’re perfect for an indulgent breakfast or brunch treat, afternoon snack or even dessert! You can of course top them with whatever you fancy; I love fresh fruit and some creamy coconut yoghurt!
The waffle maker that I’ve recently purchased is this one here and so far I’ve been really impressed with how it performs.
These waffles are also gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. I’ve used a combination of oat and GF flour and for sweetener I’ve been loving either maple syrup, brown rice syrup or agave syrup. Maple is especially delicious in spiced recipe like this, as it pairs really well with all of the warming festive flavours.
Chocolate Spiced Waffles (GF+DF)
- 1 cup oat flour you can make this yourself by blending oats in a blender or food processor
- 2 tbsp maple syrup/agave
- 2 scoops vegan chocolate protein about 40g
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp bicarb
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/3 tsp mixed spice
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Tbsp agave
- Almond milk
- To make the waffle batter, combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk everything together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sweetener and olive oil until well combined.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry so that you're left with a smooth batter.
- Preheat your waffle maker and brush the plates with a little coconut oil.
- Pour some of the mixture into each side of the waffle maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Repeat this for the remaining mixture. I find that this makes around 4 large, deep filled waffles.
- For the sauce, combine the peanut butter and agave, then gradually add in the almond milk whilst mixing, to create a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Serve your waffles with toppings of choice and drizzle over the sauce.