These chocolate cream tarts are one I like to reach for when I’m short on time, but still want a recipe that’s guaranteed to impress. They’re honestly so simple to make and have the perfect balance of flavours and texture. You can also be super lazy with these and use store bought pastry cases for an additional time saver. I’ve managed to find these plant based sweet pastry tart cases from Marks & Spencers which are a great staple to have in your kitchen cupboard!
These are the perfect dinner party or afternoon tea dessert recipe and can be decorated with pretty much any toppings of your choice! The dairy free chocolate cream filling is also a super easy recipe to throw together. Using only a few simple ingredients, it’s a really versatile whipped frosting which I guarantee you’ll be wanting to eat straight from the spoon! Beneath this is a gloriously vibrant berry jam filling which oozes out once you cut open the tarts! The perfect contrast to the decadent chocolate!
Why you should make these chocolate cream tarts
- They’re really quick and simple to make!
- Super chocolatey and perfect for satisfying those sweet cravings!
- A no bake recipe, which doesn’t require any cooking at all!
- Dairy free and completely plant based!
- Can be made with ready made pastry cases for ease.
- You can top them with a wide selection of toppings- whatever takes your fancy!
- Perfect for any occasion and can be bulk made to cater for larger events!
- Great for a tea or dinner party
- Suitable for children
What you'll need to make this recipe
- Good quality vegan chocolate: I love to use a high percentage dark chocolate, but you can use whatever you’d prefer. I always insist on using a good quality chocolate, as this will effect both the texture and flavour. Be sure to check that the chocolate you choose is plant based if required.
- Vegan cream: this recipe calls for a vegan pouring cream to create the smooth chocolate ganache. I love using either soy or oat blends.
- Cocoa powder: you will need a good quality cocoa powderer this recipe. Using a high quality cocoa or cacao creates that luxurious, rich chocolate flavour.
- Liquid sweetener of choice: I love using either agave or maple syrup to add a hint of extra sweetness to the tarts. If not strictly vegan, you could also use honey.
Chocolate Cream Tarts
- 2-3 shortcrust pastry tarts- vegan
- 250 g frozen mixed berries
- 2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice
Chocolate Cream Filling:
- 150 g vegan chocolate- can use milk or dark
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder- can adjust this to taste
- 1-2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice
- 110 ml vegan pouring cream
- Start by making the berry jam filling. Add the berries to a saucepan and gently heat until the juices start to break down. Stir through the sweetener and simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- For the chocolate filling, gently melt the chocolate in bain-marie until liquid. Whisk this into the cream to fully incorporate. This should quickly begin to thicken. Then add in your cocoa powder and sweetener- adjust these to taste depending on how rich you'd like the chocolate flavour!
- To assemble, spoon a little of the jam mixture into each of the pastry cases then pop these into the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chocolate filling into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle. Pipe a swirl onto each of the tarts. Place these into the fridge for 2 hours to set, then decorate with toppings of choice.