I think that French toast would have to be the ultimate indulgent breakfast treat to serve someone for breakfast in bed on a Sunday morning, alongside some freshly squeezed orange juice and a beautiful Bunch of flowers. Perhaps this might actually become a reality now that the recipe is up on here, so my boyfriend could make some this weekend *hint hint*. What better way to wake up, than to the sweet scent of cinnamon French toast wafting through the house.. ideally with the sun shining through the window on a beautiful spring morning. I’m desperately praying for Spring to arrive here and all of this snow and chilly weather to come to an end for this year! When Winter first begins, I get all excited about the Winter fashion and layering up in new coats, scarfs and pom pom hats.. however, but this stage in the year (MARCH), I think it’s safe to say that I’m ready for a little bit of warmth and sunshine now!
French toast is something that I actually never ate up until I learnt to make it for myself about a year ago when testing a recipe. I don’t really know why, it just wasn’t something that my mum used to cook for us as children. We loved crepes and would have those all of the time, but never French toast. It’s surprisingly really easy to make and you only need a few simple ingredients. I’ve also made a dew vegan variations, which you can get the recipe for here. This is a slightly more decadent and indulgent version, with those super sweet and gooey caramelised bananas and of course, the PB whip! Now, that sounds fairly fancy, but its actually just a combo of yoghurt, sweetener and peanut butter. Although this is super simple, it’s honestly SO tasty that you’ll want to eat it with everything!
The toast is soft, light and sweets with warming notes of cinnamon and then the delicious salty, creamy peanut butter. The classic peanut butter and banana pairing just takes the dish to a whole new level and makes for the ppeeerrrfect breakfast or dessert. Actually, scrap that, this would be scrumptious for any meal of the day I think! I tell you what this would be ideal for; a girly brunch morning with friends! If you want to cook up a spectacular feast for your guests, then I think this would certainly be the dish to impress them! You can also add a selection of additional toppings to choose from like: berries, coconut, chocolate chips, granola or anything else that takes your fancy.
Caramelised Banana French Toast With Peanut Butter Whip
- 4 slices of toast- sourdough works really well here
- 2 whole eggs
- Almond Milk
- 1 ripe banana
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Pic’s Peanut butter
For the yoghurt:
- 4 heaped tbsp greek yoghurt
- Tbsp peanut butter
- Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Combine the eggs, vanilla, milk and cinnamon and whisk together.
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Soak a slice of the bread in the egg mixture and add this to your frying pan. Cook until golden on each side, then repeat this with the remaining bread slices.
- Meanwhile, heat another tsp of coconut oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Slice the banana in half length ways and place this face down into the pan. Cook until caramelised and crisp on each side.
- To make the whipped peanut butter cream, combine the peanut butter, honey and greek yoghurt and mix until creamy.
- To serve, layer your toast with your Pic’s peanut butter and top with the whipped topping and banana slices.