Although Summer might be coming to an end, I’m still not quite ready to say goodbye to my favourite, thick, ice-creamy smoothie bowls just yet! I was never really much of a smoothie fan until recent years; but when done right, a smoothie bowl can just be unbelievably delicious! Honestly, the texture of this one is just like a big bowl of soft-serve ice cream.. and it’s packed full of plant based goodness and nutrients.
Being a food blogger, of course I’ve experimented with countless different smoothie flavours over the years, but I’d actually never tried making a Black Forest variety. Cherries aren’t something that I typically buy a lot of, but I really enjoy them when I do. They’ve been so delicious this year and taste heavenly in this smoothie bowl creation! The contrast of the sweet cherry flavours against the decadent richness of the cacao is just the perfect pairing!
To add an extra little gut friendly boost to this recipe, I’ve teamed up with Cytoplan and used their Cytobiotic Active product in this recipe which contains 9 different live bacterial strains and is also suitable for vegans. Another thing that I’ve been really liking about this particular product, is that they’ve added in vanilla powder to give a subtle vanilla flavouring. It’s a great addition to smoothies, overnight oats, chia puddings and smoothie bowls.
Black Forest Smoothie Bowl
- 2 1/2 large frozen bananas
- Handful fresh pitted cherries
- 1/2 small ripe avocado
- Large Handful Frozen mixed Berries
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder Tbsp smooth cashew butter
- 2 tsp Cytoplan Cytobiotic Active
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- You may need to stop and scrape down the sides as you go to help everything blend. You could always add in a scoop of vegan protein powder if you would like.
- Serve into bowls and add your favourite toppings of choice.