Okay, now I mean it when I tell you that these are the BEST cookies I’ve ever made. These cinnamon raisin cookies are everything a cookie should be- you won’t believe they’re plant based! They remind me of Millie’s cookies; which are a very well known brand of freshly baked cookies here in the UK. They’re slightly crisp and chewy around the edges, but soft in the centre. Notes of sweet cinnamon pair perfectly with the oozing melted chocolate and fruity burst from the raisins.
Like you’re probably thinking now, I thought that to achieve that perfect cookie consistency, there would be a great deal of ground work required. How wrong I was. This dough doesn’t require any chill time, can be made in one bowl AND they only need 10 minutes in the oven!
These cookies are an absolute must bake for this festive season! They’re great for some cosy, wintery afternoon snacking and to share with family and friends. They also make really cute home made gifts, or something to take for the dessert table!
What will I need to make the best cinnamon raisin cookies?
- Vegan butter: You can use ether stick butter or a non dairy spread for this.
- Self raising flour: I’ve used regular flour for this and am yet to experiment with a GF variety- so watch this space!
- Sugar: this recipe calls for two different kinds of sugar: caster and light brown. It is important to include both of these to achieve the right consistency. Using only caster sugar might use your cookie to be a little grainy.
- Raisins: the name gives this one away a little.. but yes, you will indeed need raisins! I’ve used South African raisins for this recipe, which provide a deliciously sweet, fruity flavour.
- Chocolate chunks: Another essential ingredient for these cookies! There’s nothing better than breaking apart a freshly baked cookie with oozing melted chocolate!
Why you need to make these cookies this Christmas
- Completely vegan! Although, you definitely can’t tell!
- They’re super easy to make and don’t require any chill time!
- It’s a great recipe for all of the family!
- Are the perfect balance of gooey and crispy!
- Make a great home made gift for the holidays!
- Perfect for cosy afternoon snacking.
- All of the ingredients can be found in your local supermarket.
Best cinnamon raisin cookies
- 100 g dairy free butter
- 60 g soft brown sugar
- 50 g caster sugar
- 125 g self raising flour
- pinch salt
- 1-2 tbsp plant milk
- handful south African raisins
- handful chopped vegan chocolate
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 18-c and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Using an electric whisk, beat together the butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and bicarb and continue to beat until well combined.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of milk whislst mixing and continue until your dough comes together. Add the second tbsp of milk if needed.
- Fold through your raisins and chocolate chips, then use a cookie scoop to create even cookie dough mounds.Place these onto your baking sheet, leaving space around each cookie as these will spread!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then leave to cool completely before trying to move the cookies.