Pancakes are one of my favourite breakfast recipes to both make and photograph. There are so many different flavour options and possibilities and of course.. the best part, the toppings! I don’t know if this is just me, or my lack of practice, but I find vegan pancakes a lot more tricky than making regular ones. Generally, eggs play a large part in holding the batter together as they cook, so you have to get the balance of the other ingredients just right, so that you’re left with airy, soft and fluffy pancakes.
I’ve kept things super simple flavour wise here and gone for a subtly sweet banana pancake batter. I remember when I first discovered the classic two ingredient banana pancake recipe and it was a complete game changer. Bananas are a great addition to baking and pancake mixtures, as they not only provide moisture, but also add a delicious hint of sweet flavour. These pancakes are not only suitable for a vegan diet, but they’re also gluten and refined sugar free as well.
All in all, I would say that they’re really easy to throw together and cook up for breakfast; but the one essential that I would recommend, is a good non-stick frying pan. I like to use pans that have a non-toxic, healthier non-stick coating because I’m conscious that it’s something that I’m cooking my food in on a daily basis. Luckily, now these are quite readily available both in stores and online. I also pretty much always use coconut oil to lightly coat the pan when cooking pancakes. Not only does this help to prevent sticking, but it helps to infuse the pancakes with the delicious sweet notes of tropical coconut flavours.
Just looking at these images and writing a whole section about pancakes for breakfast has got me thinking. A while ago, I probably wouldn’t have believed someone if they told me that you could enjoy some tasty pancakes as part of a healthy breakfast! That’s probably one of my favourite parts of this blog and creating recipes. I love creating healthy alternatives to classic dishes that you wouldn’t typically consider to be healthy. But that’s not to say that you should never eat regular pancaked and treat yourself.. I just like to give things a little twist and try and include a larger variety of nutrients into my diet.
But that’s enough of me chatting for now, cos we have pancakes to get making..
Favourite Vegan Pancakes
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 banana- mashed
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Tbsp coconut oil- melted
- Pinch sea salt
- Coconut oil for cooking
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed banana, melted coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla. Stir in the milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well until you're left with a smooth batter.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once the pan is nice and hot, spoon in a small amount of the mixture and cook until bubbles start to appear on the surface. Flip and cook on the other side, then repeat this with the remaining mixture.
- Once all of your pancakes are cooked, serve with toppings of choice and get stuck in!