After what seems like a lifetime of beaming sunshine, it’s actually raining at the moment here in the UK whilst I’m sat here writing up this recipe. Usually, this wouldn’t be something that I’d be so happy about, however, it made a nice change to finally have a break from all of the humidity. Despite the slight drop in temperate, it’s still going to be pretty hot by the standards of English weather, so the perfect time to brush up on your ice cream making skills.
Saying that, this recipe is actually super simple to make and you won’t even need an ice cream maker, just your usually blender or food processor. This recipe is also completely plant based & refined sugar free; so yes, it might not taste exactly like a your tucking into a regular pint of ice cream.. but this is still so delicious! I actually think it might even taste better! I genuily think that I now prefer non-dairy ice creams over the regular stuff, probably just because my tastebuds have changed over the years. There are some seriously amazing non-dairy brand out there now though! Some of my favourite includes: Booja Booja, Miiro Rawito, Coconut Collab and although it’s not that healthy, the Ben & Jerry’s vegan ice creams are seriously yummy!
When pondering over the flavour of this ice cream, I did originally intend to create a key lime style flavour.. which I might still make at some point this week actually. Although, you guys know me, so of course it just had to be salted caramel. I’m obsessed with making salted caramel everything and I think it will just always have a special place in my heart. I’ve just always loved the sweet and salty flavour combos and don’t see that ending any time soon!
For the ‘cream’ part of the ice cream, I’ve actually used a mixture of cashews, canned coconut milk and then this Vita Coco Coconut milk. The coconut milk sets up really well in the freezer and creates an ultra fresh and creamy texture. The subtle sweetness from the coconut milk compliments the salted caramel perfectly and has a nice tropical hint, perfect for summer!
Coco Caramel Vegan Ice Cream
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup Vita Coco Coconut milk Original
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or cream canned
- 1/2 cup dates
- 40 g vegan caramel protein could also use vanilla
- Pinch of pinch Himalayan salt Dash of vanilla
- Pop all of the ingredients into a food processor or high powered blender and blitz until really smooth and creamy.
- Pour this into a loaf tin or container of choice and leave this In the freezer to set for 6 hours or preferably overnight.
- Allow to thaw slightly before serving, then use a warm scoop to scoop into cones or just serve on it’s own.
- Here I’ve topped them with some melted dark chocolate, extra sea salt and a little pretzel for decoration!