These cupcakes are a delicious combination of a beloved banana bread, chocolate and the rich undertones of a good cup of coffee. How good does that sound?! What’s more, these banana bread mocha cupcakes are vegan, gluten free and an absolute breeze to make.
I think banana bread is something that I will just never tire of. The mashed bananas add natural sweetness and moisture to bakes, which means you can often reduce the quantities of sugar and oil/butter used. This cupcake recipe is adapted from my recent banana & coffee layer cake recipe and these are just as easy! You can give the full layer cake a try here!
Why you should make these banana bread mocha cupcakes?
- They’re vegan and gluten free.
- Easy to make in one bowl!
- Have the best mocha frosting!
- Are great for sharing with friends!
- Perfect for taking in a picnic or on the go with you.
What will you need to make these cakes?
- GF self raising flour: this recipe calls for Gf self raising flour, as this really helps to give the cupcakes some height AND keep them gluten free!
- Oat flour: I love to combine my GF flour blend with some oat flour, as I find this helps avoid a powdery texture and creates a really fluffy cake!
- Olive oil: Here I’ve used olive oil in place of butter to keep the cakes dairy free.
- Banana: An obvious one, but yes you’ll need bananas! They’re best when really ripe!
- Caster or coconut sugar: I’ve used caster sugar here, but for a refined sugar free option you can sub this for coconut palm sugar.
- Vegan stick butter: I always recommend using a vegan stick butter variety when making buttercream frosting. I find it creates a far more indulgent and creamy consistency.
Banana Bread Mocha Cupcakes
- 2 bananas- mashed
- 1 1/4 cup GF self raising flour
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup non-dairy yoghurt
- tsp baking powder
- tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan stick butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp strong brewed espresso
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a cupcake tray with cases.
- Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside to allow this to thicken to a buttermilk consistency.
- Meanwhile, mix together all of your dry ingredients. Then fold through the olive oil, milk mixture and mashed banana.
- Once nice and smooth, divide your batter between the cupcake cases and bake these for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- Whilst your cakes are cooling, beat the butter until light and fluffy (I use and electric whisk for this). Gradually sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder whilst continuing to whisk. Add in your coffee and whisk a little more! You should be left with a luciously thick and creamy frosting.
- Pipe this onto your cakes and garnish with your favourite toppings!