Despite the brief wave of summer weather now being a distant memory here in the UK, I’ve been busy churning out a heap of delicious summery recipes for you! This vegan coffee & banana cake is perfectly moist, delicately sweet whilst still being super indulgent at the same time! The banana cake recipe is a super easy, one bowl method which also works as a loaf or cupcake recipe! This cake is an all round winner (especially for coffee lovers) and is the perfect afternoon tea accompaniment!
Not only is this recipe completely plant based, but also gluten free! As usual, I’ve used a combination of GF self raising flour and oat flour to make the sponge. I find that this creates a idyllic sponge cake texture, whilst allowing the mixture to rise.
Why you should make this vegan coffee & banana cake
- It’s gluten free
- Plant based
- Easy to make
- Perfect for summer
- Includes the winning combination of coffee and chocolate! What’s not to love?
- Can be adapted to be refined sugar free if you sub in coconut palm sugar
What will you need to make this cake?
GF self raising flour: I use a combination of two different flours, as I find this works best to achieve the perfect texture. The self raising flour helps to create that perfect rise in your sponge.
Olive oil: To keep this recipe dairy free, I’ve used olive oil instead of butter.
Bananas: This one may seem obvious… for a banana cake recipe! The mashed bananas add natural sweetness and extra moisture to the cake.
Coffee: I’m somewhat obsessed with coffee, so a coffee cake is my idea of heaven. I’ve used a good quality, strong instant coffee for that delicious hint of flavour!
Oat flour: I love adding part oat flour into my bakes, as I find that it helps avoid the mixture becoming a little too grainy.
Vegan stick butter: This is for the frosting and it is important that it is the stick butter variety. I find that this works SO MUCH better than using regular non-dairy spread. It creates the most creamy, heavenly butter cream frosting!
Vegan Coffee & Banana Cake
- 2 bananas (mashed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- tsp apple cider vinegar
- tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 11/3 cup GF self raising flour
- tsp finely ground instant coffee
- Dash vanilla powder/extract
- 1/2 cup vegan stick butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup freshly brewed espresso
- Preheat your oven to 175c and line two 16cm loose bottom cake tins with baking paper.
- Combine the non-dairy milk and vinegar together and set aside for 5 mins to allow to thicken.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (apart from the coffee) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the mashed banana, olive oil and milk mixture, then fold everything together until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into two, and stir the coffee through one half of the batter. Transfer into your cake tins and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely. Meanwhile, beat the butter until light and fluffy, then gradually incoorporate the sugar, coffee and cocoa powder. You can add in additional cocoa or icing sugar if you feel your frosting needs to be thicker.
- Once cooled, spread a generous layer of frosting over one of the cakes and sandwich together. Cover the cake in the lucious frosting and decorate with fresh fruit or other toppings of choice.