It has been a hot minute since I’ve shared a new recipe, so I had to make sure it was something extra special! This vegan coconut & passion cake is the perfect bank holiday bake to get you in the mood for summer! The light and fluffy coconut sponge pairs beautifully with the vibrant passionfruit and vegan buttercream layers. I couldn’t be much more obsessed with passionfruit at the moment and this tropical inspired bake is giving me all of the holiday feels!
This recipe is not only delicious, but also completely plant based AND gluten free! Here’s what you’ll need…
What will I need to make vegan coconut & passion layer cake?
- GF self raising flour: this recipe calls for two kinds of flour, this being one of them! The GF self raising flour of course keeps the cake gluten free, but is also the key to that perfect risen, fluffy texture!
- Oat flour: I love blitzing oats in my blender to make oat flour when baking. It ahas a really delicate texture and I find helps to prevent cakes from becoming too dry and powdery.
- Olive oil: I’ve used olive oil in place of butter for this recipe. I find it creates a super fluffy bake every time!
- Passion fruit: This recipe uses fresh passion fruits both in the cake it self and for garnishing! They have such an incredible flavour and add moisture!
- Desiccated coconut: I’ve added coconut into the sponge cake mixture for an extra hint of tropical flavour.
- Non dairy milk + vinegar: This is a killer combo in vegan baking and ingredients that I always have on hand! Mixing white vinegar with your plant milk forms a vegan buttermilk like mixture.
Why you should make this cake!
- It’s completely gluten free and vegan!
- Tastes so delicious and perfect for summer!
- Is perfectly sweet, with a vibrant fruity kick.
- Makes an excellent occasion or summer birthday cake!
- Easy to make and doesn’t require any fancy equipment
Vegan coconut & passion cake
- 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cup GF self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 passion fruit
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 passion fruits
- 3/4 cup vegan stick butter
- 2 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line two loose bottom cake tins (15cm) with baking paper.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar and set aside to allow to thicken.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and roughly mix. Add the olive oil and thickened milk mixture, then fold together to create a smooth batter. Finally, stir in your passionfruit.
- Divide this between your cake tins and pop into the oven for around 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely on a wire wrack.
- To prepare your frosting, beat the butter until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the icing sugar.
- Spread a generous helping of buttercream over one of the cakes and add a layer of passionfruit (one passionfruit) and sandwich the second layer on top.
- Garnish with the remaining frosting, passionfruit and fresh berries of your choice.