This delicious turmeric, lemon and yoghurt cake is the perfect quick and easy weekend bake to satisfy the whole family! It’s light, fruity, sweet and also completely gluten free! This is giving me all of the spring feels right now with the vibrant zesty flavours! As much as I love chocolate… chocolate cake, brownies, bars, biscuits, you name it! I think I would always almost opt for something fresh and fruity. So this lemon cake with lemon frosting (yep, double lemon) is an absolute winner for me!
I’ve used some of my favourite turmeric shots to add a little kick of zesty flavour and also give you an extra nutritional boost. Turmeric is something that I love to include in my diet for it’s incredible health benefits. It’s a great natural anti-inflamitory and if it means eating cake.. then who am I to say no?!
What will I need to make Turmeric, lemon & yoghurt cake?
- Turmeric shot: I’ve used The Turmeric Co. ones to make this recipe
- Olive oil: I love using olive oil in place of butter, as I find it helps create a super light ad fluffy sponge cake.
- Caster/coconut palm sugar: you can sub the caster sugar for coconut palm if you’d like to keep the recipe refined sugar free.
- Greek Yoghurt: You can use non-fat or light yoghurt if you desire. The yoghurt helps to add extra moisture to the cake and create that incredibly soft, fluffy texture.
- GF self raising flour: This cake is completely gluten free, so a GF flour blend is needed. I find using a self raisins variety creates gives cakes the best rise and ensures maximum fluffiness!
- Eggs: This recipe calls for two eggs to help bind the mixture.
Why you should make this cake… today!
- It’s delicious and easy to make!
- This cake is SO moist and fluffy in texture!
- Contains the added benefit of turmeric, which is always a bonus!
- Flavoured with fresh lemon, so is perfect for spring.
- Ideal sweet treat to accompany an afternoon cup of tea.
- Is a completely gluten free recipe, so is suitable for those with intolerances.
- Can be adapted to be refined sugar free.
Turmeric Lemon & Yoghurt Cake
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup GF self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 Turmeric Co. Shot
- 1 cup caster sugar/coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup oat flour (blended oats)
- Pinch salt
- Zest 2 lemons
- Preheat your ove to 175c. In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil ad sugar and cream these together. Mix through the greek yoghurt and turmeric shot untill well combined.
- Beat in both of the eggs, one at a time. Fold through the dry ingredients and lemon zest and transfer into a lined and lightly greased cake tin.
- Pop this into the oven to bake for around 35 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool before decorating with fresh berries and frosting if you so desire!