If you want something on the fruitier side amidst all of the chocolate this Easter, I might have just the cake for you! This speckled egg protein easter cake has a beautifully light lemon sponge, berry jam filling and heavenly blue buttercream coating. This recipe is also completely gluten free and the frosting is coloured naturally with blue spirulina.
This cake is super simple to make and will be the perfect statement dessert on your Easter dinner spread! Another bonus is that there’s also added protein from the protein powder and greek yoghurt! Adding yoghurt not my bakes is something that I’ve been loving recently, as it creates such a light & moist sponge.
What will I need to make Speckled Egg Protein Easter Cake?
- GF self raising flour: this recipe calls for gluten free self raising flour, which will give your sponge that rise!
- Olive oil: I’ve been loving using olive oil in my cakes recently, as I find it’s key to achieving a fluffy sponge! I like to use a light and mild olive oil for bakes.
- Greek yoghurt: You can use 0% of higher greek yoghurts for this. It helps to add extra moisture to the cake and also additional protein!
- Eggs: This recipe calls for two medium eggs.
- Caster sugar: You can also switch this for coconut palm sugar, to make the sponge refined sugar free.
- Protein powder: I’ve used a lemon flavoured whey protein for this recipe, which works perfectly. It adds an extra touch of zing and blends into the mixture really smoothly! I find experimenting with different proteins so important with baking to avoid any grainy mixtures!
- Blue spirulina: this can of course be replaced with blue food colouring if you can’t find the spirulina. However, this is an incredible natural alternative and has lots of great health benefits!
Why you should make this cake… today!
- It’s really easy to make and great fun to decorate!
- Perfect for the easter weekend and will even be suitable for the non-chocolate fans!
- It’s completely gluten free!
- Tastes delicious with a cup of tea!
- Has added protein, so technically could be counted as a post workout treat, right? 😉
Speckled Egg Protein Easter Cake
- Mixing bowl
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup GF self raising flour
- 2 scoops PHD Lemon & Blueberry Whey Protein
- 3/4 cup non-fat greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 heaped tbsp non- dairy/light butter (stick butter works best)
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar/sugar free alternative
- 1/4 tsp blue spirulina
- 4 tbsp low sugar raspberry jam
- Handful finely chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 175c and line two loose bottom cake tins with parchment paper. (18cm)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and olive oil to fully combine.
- Beat in both of your eggs, greek yoghurt and lemon extract.
- Fold through the dry ingredients to create a smooth batter. Then, divide this evenly between your two tins and pop into the oven for around 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire wrack.
- For your buttercream, beat the butter until pale, then gradually incoorporate your icing sugar. Mix through the blue spirulina and then add the chopped chocolate to create that speckled effect.
- Once your cake has fully cooled, add a layer of jam to one of the cakes and a layer of frosting to the other. Sandwich these together and wipe away any overspill of jam and frosting.
- Lightly frost the entire cake to create a crumb coating. Then evenly spread over the remaining icing. Decorate with easter eggs and fresh berries!