These double chocolate Easter egg cupcakes are certainly not one to be missed this Easter! When I say double chocolate, I do in fact mean triple. Wait, actually quadruple! That’s a chocolate sponge, creamy chocolate filling, vegan chocolate frosting and homemade chocolate eggs!
These cupcakes are quite literally the dream. They’re extra chocolatey, perfectly moist and an absolute breeze to make! Although these ones have bee decorated for Easter, chocolate cupcakes are pretty much perfect for any occasion! I mean, who needs a reason to treat yourself to a creamy, chocolate filled, chocolate cupcake?!
I like to think that I’ve become a bit of a cupcake connoisseur recently. I’ve developed quite the obsession with experimenting with different cupcake flavours! I also think that cupcakes are just perfect sized sweet treat for pretty much any occasion. They’re easy to make, transport, decorate and everyone gets their own individual cake! If it’s not too bold, I would also go as far to say that I think I’ve nailed the ultimate consistency for chocolate cupcakes! For me, the perfect chocolate cupcake is soft, moist, slightly fudgey and of course extremely chocolatey!
What will I need to make these cupcakes?
- GF self raising flour: As this recipe is gluten free, you will need a GF self raising flour blend. This also helps to get that beautiful rise and spongey texture!
- Good quality cocoa powder: I like to use a high quality cocoa or cacao powder for an extra rich flavour.
- Olive oil: To keep this recipe dairy free, I use a light and milk olive oil in place of butter.
- Dairy free chocolate spread: I’ve used this one to make these cupcakes. It’s also sugar free, which is a bonus.
- Eggs: this recipe calls for two eggs to help bind the ingredients. (this does mean the recipe isn’t vegan friendly)
If you’re looking for vegan cupcake recipes, there are some available here.
Why you should make these double chocolate Easter egg cupcakes?
- They’re completely gluten free, therefore are suitable for people with those dietary requirements!
- Dairy free, made with olive oil in place of butter.
- Super easy to make and don’t require lots of fancy ingredients.
- Taste delicious AND super chocolatey!
- A perfect way to utilise any leftover Easter eggs.
- They’re delicious and ideal for any occasion.
- Can be whipped up using only a mixing bowl and wooden spoon, with no fancy equipment needed!
Triple Chocolate Easter Egg Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup coconut palm/caster sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup GF self raising flour
- 1/3 cup Jim Jams Chocolate Spread
- 1/6 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup cocoa/cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Extra Jim Jams Chocolate Psread for filling
- 4 tbsp non-dairy butter (stick butter works best)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 175c and line a cupcake tray with paper cases. In a mixing bowl, cream together your olive oil, Jim Jams spread and sugar.
- Beat in both of the eggs, then fold through your dry ingredients.
- Divide your mixture between the cupcake cases and pop these into the oven for 18-22 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow these to cool thouroughly on a wire wrack. Use an apple corer to remove the middle of the cupcakes and add a spoonfull of spread into the centre of each.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter until pale and fluffy, then gradually beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Pipe this onto each of the cupcakes and decorate with easter eggs or other toppings of choice.