This blood orange banana loaf might just be my favourite banana bread recipe of all time. It’s easy to make, perfectly light and fluffy and also incredibly delicious! I would highly recommend giving this a try for a spot of weekend baking!
This recipe is completely gluten free and requires only a few simple ingredients! The bananas provide a deliciously sweet flavour and also add extra moisture to your cake, meaning you don’t need to use as much oil. To keep this recipe refined sugar free, you can substitute the sugar for coconut sugar. This will also add a hint of caramel flavour to the cake too!
My favourite part of this recipe is of course the blood orange element! I love it when blood oranges are in season, as they’re one of my absolute favourite fruits! They taste incredible and are also look so beautiful with their vibrant jewel tones!
What will you need to make blood orange banana loaf?
- GF self raising flour: this recipe calls for gluten free self raising flour, which helps to achieve that beautifully fluffy texture.
- Olive oil: I’ve used olive oil in place of butter to keep the recipe dairy free. I also find that when used in baking, olive oil creates a really moist and light sponge.
- Ripe bananas: this is a perfect recipe to use up any overripe bananas you may have lying around. The tripe the better in this case really, as it enhances the sweetness and makes them easy to mash!
- Caster/coconut sugar: you can switch regular caster sugar for coconut sugar here if you’d like to keep the recipe refined sugar free.
- Eggs: this recipe isn’t vegan friendly as it does require eggs. I will be testing out a plant based version shortly, so hang tight!
- Blood oranges: adding the zest from the orange into the loaf gives you a vibrant kick of citrus flavour. The the glaze is also completely naturally coloured with the blood orange juice!
Blood orange banana bread
- Loaf tin
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/3 cup GF self raising flour
- Zest from 1 blood orange
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 blood orange- juiced
- Preheat your oven to 175c and line a loaf tin with grease proof paper.
- Mash the bananas to a puree with a fork and combine with your olive oil, then beat in both of the eggs.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl, then fold through the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into your loaf tin and pop into the oven to bake for 40 minutes. (check after 30 to ensure it's doesn't brown too much on top)
- Whilst the loaf is cooling mix 1/2 cup of icing sugar with the juice from 1/2 a blood orange. Adjust the sugar/juice until you have your desired consistency the drizzle over your loaf. Garnish with fresh fruits and enjoy!
If you fancy trying your hand at some other banana bread recipes, give these a try!