For all of the cookie lovers out there, I’m bringing you these fantastic creations starring the ultimate combo: chocolate and peanut butter! These babies are vegan, gluten free and yet still deliciously indulgent and gooey in the middle! Cookies and biscuits have definitely always been my weakness when it comes to sweet treats and anything including peanut butter.. well, need I say more?!
Cookies really are one of my favourite baked goods and there are a number of reasons for this:
- They take practically no time at all to bake= you get to eat the food faster, which is an obvious win!
- They’re perfect for any occasion: mid morning cuppa, afternoon tea, packed lunch dessert, movie snack, home baked gift for a friend, after school treat for the kids..
- They’re convenient to take with you on the go. Unlike a delicately frosted cupcake, these aren’t going to get squished together in your handbag!
- Delicious enjoyed warm or cool. If you’re someone who’s extra impatient when it comes for waiting for your bakes to cool, you’ll like this one. Whilst you do need to wait an initial 5 or so minutes for them to firm up, they’re incredible served all warm and gooey with a side of ice cream!
I think it’s safe to say that I’ve baked my fair share of cookies over the years, so here’s a few tips to help you achieve those perfect finished products!
- Use a small ice cream or cookie dough scoop to get even sized balls of cookie mixture.
- Press a few extra chocolate (or in this case peanut) chips into the top of your cookies once they’re ready to bake; this both looks pretty and that you’ve got a perfectly even distribution of chips!
- Don’t over bake your cookies! When there’s a few minutes left on your timer, monitor the cookies to insure they don’t over bake or burn. You want a nice golden finish and the centre to still be a little gooey!
- Allow the cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes before touching or trying to move them. A lot of cookies will be slightly soft and very fragile when straight out of the oven. They need time too cool and really firm up In texture to prevent them breaking.
Vegan, Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 30 g coconut oil
- 80 g coconut sugar/unrefined caster sugar
- 55 g smooth peanut butter
- 100 g oat flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbinate of soda
- 20 g cacao powder
- 2 tbsp agave/maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- Handful Peanut Butter chips (Make sure these are dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a tray with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the coconut oil, sugar, peanut butter and honey. Mash the banana and stir this into the wet ingredients.
- Fold through the dry ingredients to form a smooth batter, then mix in the peanut butter chips (reserving a few extra for topping) to evenly distrubute.
- Scoop out portions of the cookie dough and place onto your baking sheet. Press a couple of peanut butter chips into the centre of each cookie and bake these for around 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool completly before serving.