What’s my favourite recipe I’ve made this week? These, there’s no doubt about it.
Peanut butter cups were my first love when it comes to healthy desserts. I used to buy them from my favourite healthy eatery in Chelsea about 5 years ago now and I was SO obsessed. Back then, we didn’t actually live in London and would travel up from Surrey, usually about twice a week, to get Buddha bowls and peanut butter cups for dessert. They also used to make these incredible ‘kale lime pies’, which is basically a raw vegan version of a key lime pie and they were phenomenal. I remember when I first tried all of these new and exciting creations, I was so amazed that you could make such decadent and delicious treats using slightly unusual and definitely unconventional ingredients. Now, it’s what I spend my life doing and what I do for my career.. funny how things work out.
So here we kinda’ have a double whammy of recipes and product review on this PROMiXX protein shaker bottle all in one post.. what a treat! Like I’m sure many of you have, I’ve owed countless different protein shaker bottles over the years, but not quite like this one. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve always found when just mixing a protein shake in a normal shaker bottle, I’m always left with clumps of the protein sitting at the bottom of the shaker, or the whole drink is just a little bit lumpy. Obviously neither of these scenarios result in a very tasty drink.. no one wants a lumpy protein shake now do they?!
I was really excited to try out this PROMiXX vortex mixer, which Is a rechargeable protein shaker bottle that will mix your protein shake for you with a powerful motor, to leave you with a super smooth, creamy drink without you even having to shake the bottle yourself. I was actually really impressed with how powerful this little motor is and how well it mixed my drinks. I’ve also experimented with making some basic smoothie like drinks in here and they too worked really well. Obviously it’s not suitable for actually blending things like fruit and veg etc, but I’ve added in things like peanut butter and cacao powder to my shakes and they worked a treat!
Not only does the shaker work really well and look super smart, but I also find them SO easy to clean.. which, if you’re an experienced protein shake user, then you’ll know how important this is! I’m sure most of us have one or two negative experiences when it comes to forgetting to wash up your shaker bottles. I simply add a little warm water and a dash of washing up liquid, then turn on the motor and whiz everything around to clean the bottle!
They also say that you can mix up other recipes in here such as pancake and waffle batters, scrambled eggs and also baby formula! I’m a huge fan of a good gadget, but even more so when they have multiple different uses and functions. You can simply remove the motor and plug this into your laptop to charge, so won’t need to keep rummaging around in the kitchen drawer trying to find the right sized batteries! This could just be something that I do, but I feel like my kitchen scales need their batteries changing every two weeks and it’s always a size that I don’t have in my collection.. so rechargeable gadgets are a great way to avoid this.
Something else that I wanted to mention quickly is that the bottle is also BPA free, which is something that is always very important to me when buying water bottles or containers. On the website, they also claim that the bottle is 100% leak proof, so hopefully this will mean the end of protein shakes leaking over me and my bag after a workout.
Inspired by my favourite chocolate peanut butter protein shake combination, I’ve made some raw peanut butter cups for a little chocolatey treat to pair with this!
Raw Peanut Butter Cups & PROMiXX Review
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 3-4 Tbsp agave/honey
- Pinch of pink salt
- 2 heaped tbsp peanut butter
- 1 heaped tbsp honey/agave
- I find this works best using silicone cupcake cases, as this makes it easy to remove the chocolate cups. So I like to lay these out in a container before I begin.
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat until liquid.
- Stir through the cacao powder, salt and sweetener of choice until everything is all melted together and you're left with a smooth, melted chocolate like consistency.
- Pour a little of the chocolate mixture into the base of some silicone cupcake cases and pop these into the freezer for around 10 minutes to set.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the peanut butter and sweetener until well combined.
- Add a small spoon of the peanut butter mixture into each of the cups and cover these with the rest of the chocolate.
- Place them back into the freezer and leave for 1-2 hours to allow the chocolate to set completely.
- Carefully remove the cups from their cases and drizzle with a little extra melted dark chocolate to decorate.