First recipe back had to be some cupcakes, and these are definitely worth the wait I can promise you! These cupcakes have a perfectly soft and fluffy texture, with a gooey raspberry filling and indulgent vegan cream cheese frosting!
Coconut & raspberry has to be one off my favourite flavours and I thought would be appropriate for some weekend baking this UK bank holiday weekend! We’re due to have a gorgeous spell of hot weather over the next few days, so I’m feeling all of those summery flavours and delicate berry sweetness!
During the lockdown period, I haven’t actually been buying any flour.. because the shelves always seem to be bare in that section! However, I guess that means that lots more people have been getting their bake on during this period, which is always a great thing in my opinion! I have however been blending an awful lot of my own oat flour (so simple & cheap to do!) which has worked a treat in my baking recipes and produces beautifully fluffy cupcakes! It also means that these are gluten free, as well as also being dairy & refined sugar free too- so hopefully everyone can enjoy them!
The frosting is a new experiment for me here, as I’ve not dabbled with vegan cream cheese style icing before, and I have to say I think it’s going to be making a more regular appearance! You get that slightly sour, cheesecake tang of flavour, with an ultra smooth and creamy whipped texture! The first challenge is refraining from eating it straight from the bowl before icing the cakes! I’ve also tested this with a berry frosting-which was equally as delicious and perfect if you’re not a fan of cream cheese icings. The recipe that I’ve used for this is here.
Raspberry & Coconut Cupcakes
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb
- Pinch Salt
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut or coocnut chips
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or other liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a bowl, mash the banana with the back of a fork, then beat in the coconut sugar and olive oil. Add the eggs one at a time and mix everything togteher.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a seperate bowl, the fold these into the wet mixture unitl you're left with a smooth batter.
- Divide the muffin mixture between the cases and pop these into the oven to bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a wire wrack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mash the raspberries into a puree and stir through the agave to add a little sweetness. Once the cakes have cooled, cut away some of the centre of each cake (almost like coring an apple) and fill with a spoonful of the berry filling.
- For the frosting, mix together cream cheese, cashew butter, coconut and agave then spread a generous amount over each of the cakes. Add some fresh berries to garnish and enjoy!