It’s been a little while since I’ve dabbled in brownie making, far too long in fact. But, let me just tell you now.. for my first brownies back in the game, these certainly did not disappoint! They’re everything (I believe) a brownie should be: gooey, chocolatey, sweet, moist, nutty and have an incredible chocolate frosting just to add that extra layer of decadence. Oh.. and they’re also gluten, dairy and refined sugar free as well! Literally my DREAM brownies.
After the start of lockdown commencing with pretty much indulging for breakfast, lunch and dinner most days, I’ve recently decided to rein it a teeny tiny bit with my diet. By this I don’t mean that I’m embarking on an extreme diet whereby I’ll be consuming nothing but protein and dry crackers, so don’t worry, there will still be cakes around here! However, I do want to focus on making sure that I’m cramming my meals with as many fruits and veggies as possible and also being a slightly more calorie conscious.
Speaking of which, these brownies are actually pretty good on the calorie front and I’ve used bananas to add natural sweetness and extra moisture into the batter, therefore reducing the quantities of oil and coconut sugar needed.
Another thing that I should probably mention about these is that they’re honesty SO easy to make, there’s no fancy ingredients list or method, they’re quick, simple and simple taste just as mouthwatering as a regular brownie!
What you’ll need..
- Cocoa Powder
- Coconut Sugar
- Coconut oil
Fudgey GF Pistachio Brownies
- 1 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb
- 1/4 cup Pistachios I used Wonderful Pistachios
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Splash non-dairy milk
- 50g vegan chocolate or chocolate of choice if not dairy free
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas thouroughly with the back of a fork, then beat in the coconut oil and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix these into the batter.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients, then fold these into the wet mixture to create a smooth batter and carefully stir in the pistachios.
- Pour your brownie mix into the lined tin and bake these for around 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire wrack.
- Meanwhile, for the frosting, mix together the cashew butter, honey and then add a little milk whilst mixing to create a smooth, spreadable consistency. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, then quickly whisk this into your cashew frosting.
- Spread the chocolety icing over your brownies, garnish with some extra chopped pistachios and slice into squares!