If there’s one thing that we all need right about now, it’s these gluten & dairy free oatmeal cookie bars! They’re beautifully golden & crisp around the edges, slightly chewy in the middle and studded with glorious squares of melted chocolate that comes oozing out with each mouthful! I mean, does that not sound like heaven to you?!
These actually came about as a result of me not having enough eggs to make the cupcakes that I was planning on testing out. However, they’ve turned out to be one of the best accidental recipes I’ve made in a long time! These are perfect for a mid-afternoon sweat treat and also super handy if you’re looking for something to take out and about with you. I’ve been getting asked for picnic dessert recommendations and I would 1000% put these in that category!
What you will need..
One of the best things about these scrumptious delights is that you don’t need an extensive list of extravagant ingredients. In fact, most of these things are items that I will almost always have in my kitchen cupboard. So get yourselves up off the sofa and start ticking off this ingredients check list:
- 1 Egg
- Nut Butter
- Coconut Sugar
- Coconut oil/oil blend
Can I swap certain ingredients if I don’t have everything?
Sometimes it’s all about working with what you have and there’s no reason why you should have to miss out on these simply because you’re missing one ingredient!
If you don’t have coconut sugar and don’t mind these not being refined sugar free, then I’m pretty sure you could switch this up for light brown sugar. Similarly, if you don’t have coconut oil, you could also use olive or rapeseed oil. The nut butter is also customisable and you can swap this for almond, peanut or whatever you have on hand.
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil/ rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp cashew/almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup jumbo oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 40 g dark chocolate or chocolate chips can add more or less depending on how chocolatey you want them!
- Preheat your oven to 175c and line a tray with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the cashew butter, oil and coconiut sugar until well combined. Then, beat in the egg.
- Fold through the dry ingredients and mix thouroughly to create a smooth batter.
- Pour this into your baking dish and pop squares of your chocolate throughout.
- Bake these in the oven for around 12-14 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool before slicing into bars and devouring!